Events this week
NO SCHOOL – Mon. Feb. 6
LSDMC mtg. – Tues. Feb. 7, 4:00 pm, Rm. 1009
ILT mtg. – Wed. Feb. 8, 3:45 pm, Rm. 1009
Juniors & families: (Required) Postsecondary Process Meeting – Thurs. Feb. 9, 6:30 pm
EPIC performance of "Rumors" – Sat. Feb. 11, 3:00 pm & 8:00 pm
Auditions for Clark Talent Showcase – all this week (see Josh Roderer or Jeff Martin in the lobby at lunchtime to sign up.)
Save the date
Music Boosters mtg. – Tues. Feb. 14, 4:00 pm, Clark "Cafe"
NO SCHOOL – Presidents’ Day – Mon. Feb. 20
Talent Showcase – Fri. Mar. 3 – 7:00 pm, Clark "Cafe"
"Spring Fling" Sports & Music Boosters fundraiser – Fri. Apr. 7, 7:00–11:00 pm (details to follow in the coming weeks)
Comunity Service (for Students)
MYCincinnati after school orchestra program for youth – MyCincinnati is a FREE orchestra program in Price Hill that is seeking student volunteers to help participants with their homework and to assist with the orchestra program. Go to the MYCincinnati Orchestra volunteer page or see the MYCincinnati Homework Hour Flyer for more details and contact information.
North Avondale Montessori (NAM) Movie Night – Fri. Feb. 10, from 6:15 to 9:30 pm – NAM is looking for student volunteers to assist with their movie night. Help is needed with clean up, concessions, and with supervising little ones. Please call the NAM office at 363-3600 if you are able to help.
Notes from the Nurse
Parents: please call the school nurse at 363-7105 if you received a letter regarding missing immunization dates for your student, or if the nurse called and left a message asking that you contact the health office regarding missing immunization dates.
EPIC performance of Rumors
On Sat. Feb. 11 @ 3:00 pm & 8:00 pm, Clark’s student run theatre, EPIC, will perform "Rumors," a comedy. Tickets are being sold during lunches for $5; $8 at the door on the day of performance. At the beginning of each performance there will be a short called "Waiting on Trains." The 3 pm show has been edited to include mild, family-friendly language and the 8 pm show has the original, stronger language; attend at your own discretion.
Talent Showcase Fri. Mar. 3 – auditions this week
- The Clark Talent Showcase will be performed Fri. Mar. 3, 7:00 pm in the Clark "Cafe."
- Auditions are this week (week of Feb. 7th).
- Sign up for auditions at the table during all lunches or see Jeff or Josh.
- (Tickets will be $2 in advance, $4 at the door.)
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) "Pennies for Patients"
- Starting next week (Feb. 13-17), Clark Montessori is participating in the LLS "Pennies for Patients" program, collecting funds to benefit the mission of LLS: to find cures for blood cancers and to improve the quality of life for patients and their families.
- We are hoping to raise $2,017 to support LLS!
- Please consider donating by going to the Clark Montessori page of the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society website or by sending in check, cash or money order. Thank you!
FREE energy efficiency kit to help Duke save energy (and raise $ for Clark)
When people use these kits in their homes, energy is saved and Duke can measure it.
Help our school take the My Energy Kit Challenge:
- save 20,000 kWh by reaching 100 kit requests.
- Every school that meets the challenge will automatically win $250.
- Clark will earn another $250 for every additional 100 kit requests. And, in June 2017, the school that has requested the MOST kits will win the grand prize of $2,500.
- To request your FREE kit and credit Clark, go to the My Energy Kit webpage OR Call 1-855-386-9548
Senior Project Survey
Please take Rhani Cunningham's Senior Project survey regarding how to raise chickens in urban areas and how important it is to know where your food comes from.
Games this week
2/6: Varsity Bowling vs Deer Park @ Madison Bowl – 4:00 pm
2/7: HS Boys Basketball vs Summit @ Clark – JV 6 pm, Varsity 7:30 pm
2/8: HS Girls Basketball vs New Miami @ Clark – **Senior Night** – JV 6;00 pm, Varsity 7:30 pm
2/10: HS Boys Basketball vs Lockland @ Clark – **Senior Night** – JV 6:00 pm, Varsity 7:30 pm
2/10: Varsity Bowling MVC Championship @ Madison Bowl – 3:00 pm
2/10: Boys Swimming Sectional @ St. Xavier HS – 5:00 pm
2/11: Girls Swimming Sectional @ Mason – 8:00 am
Girls interested in playing rugby this upcoming spring should meet the rugby coach on Thursday, Feb 8th during lunch. This is a club team and not a varsity sport at Clark.
MS Softball meeting – Feb. 15, 2:45 pm, Rm. 1305
If you plan on playing jr. high softball, you must attend this meeting.
- HS Baseball meeting (brief but required) – Feb. 10, 2:35 pm, Rm. 1008 – Required for any high school students interested in playing. If you are unable to attend, contact Coach Breen for details .
- MS Baseball player information form required – Any junior high students interested in playing baseball should fill out the Clark baseball player information form.
Please check the postsecondary planning webpages for more information about student employment, career development, and college programs.
Families of seniors – cap and gown info
Order information for caps & gowns was handed out Fri. Jan. 27. A representative from Graduate Service will be here on Tues. Feb. 7 during lunches to accept orders. The cost for a cap/gown is $40., but the Postsecondary Center also has a stock of caps/gowns that we can lend to seniors. Caps & gowns will be delivered in May closer to graduation (June 2), and payment will be due at that time.
Postsecondary Process meeting for Juniors – Thurs. Feb. 9, 6:30 pm, Clark "Cafe"
All 11th grade students and parents or guardians should make arrangements to be in attendance. This meeting is very important to the post-secondary planning process. We'll discuss in detail the process and actions students need to be taking right now, and we'll answer any questions you have. All athletic coaches are aware and will release students.
University of Cincinnati Blue Ash Open House – Thurs. Feb. 23, 6-8:30 pm
Register online at the UC Blue Ash openhouse webpage. If you apply for admission to UC Blue Ash at the open house, the $50 application fee will be waived.
Senate Page for Senator Portman
Senator Rob Portman has been offered the opportunity to nominate a Senate Page for Summer 2017, which would run from June 12–30, 2017. Students must have completed the application during their sophomore year, be 16 or 17 years old on or before the date of appointment, and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. The application deadline is February 27, 2017. The application and additional information about the program can be found on Senator Portman's website.
Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars Program – Application deadline: March 1
The Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars Program provides scholarships for talented, high-achieving young women from the Midwest to participate in academic summer programs at some of the country's top colleges – Barnard, Brown, Cornell, Emory, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT Smith, Stanford, Yale, Wash U. Scholarships are awarded based on merit and financial need.
- Students entering 11th or 12th grade in fall of 2017 are eligible.
- Application deadline is March 1.
- Like to see more? Check out an overview of the Joyce Ivy Summer Scholars Program and start your apply to be a Joyce Ivy Summer Scholar.
Summer Camps hosted by UC College of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning (DAAP)
Descriptions of the University of Cincinnati's DAAP summer residential and day camps for high school and middle school students are now posted. Visit the DAAP Summer camp webpage for 2017 camp updates. (Registration opens March 1st.)
Northern Kentucky University Multicultural Law Academy – Fri. Mar. 3, 8:30 am-2 pm
The NKU Multi-cultural Law Academy is part of the Law School Admission Council's (LSAC) DiscoverLaw.org campaign. LSAC is dedicated to the idea that the legal profession must reflect the expanding diversity of our society, so they developed the Academy as one way to encourage racially and ethnically diverse students to consider career opportunities in law and to choose a path in undergraduate school that will help them succeed.
- Students can register for the NKU Multi-cultural Law Academy online now. (Space is limited.)
- Schedule will include:
- Lunch with a keynote speaker
- Student panels
- Street Law workshop
- Admissions Presentation
Jimmy Buffet Seacamp Scholarship
Details and application are on the Summer Opportunities webpage. Paper applications can also be picked up in the Clark Post-Secondary Center on the 2nd floor. Postmark or email deadline is April 10.
B-WISER Science Camp (Women in Science, Engineering and Research) – June 11-16, College of Wooster
- Who: Girls entering 8th grade in fall 2017.
- Where: College of Wooster, 200 miles northeast of Cincinnati, in Wooster, OH
- Cost: Fee including room and board is $475, but several scholarships are available for students who qualify for free and reduced lunch, reducing the cost to $100.
- Application deadline: April 20, 2017.
- Apply online to the B-wiser Science Camp or get more information.
Recommended Search websites for summer opportunities
(When researching summer programs, always ask about scholarships.)
Northern Kentucky University also offers reasonably priced summer camps for a range of grade levels. Their information will be available around March 1, 2017, so please watch for that.
Youth Summit on Careers in Public Transportation – All expenses paid for students selected!
- Date and location: June 19-23 in Washington, DC
- Who May Apply: High school students
- Hosted by: the American Public Transportation Association (APTA)
- Description: APTA is looking to recruit a diverse and high caliber student group. 50 students from all over the country are selected to come to DC and explore potential careers in transportation. Students meet with policy and lawmakers on Capitol Hill and tour transit systems and engineering companies.
- Cost: It is a completely free program. This is a very competitive process, but for students selected, all expenses are paid.
- Application deadline: Feb. 17
- Learn more about the APTA Youth Summit and apply
Southern Swing College Tour – Mar. 25-Apr.1, 2017
- Happens over CPS Spring Break
- Registration and information